hello world!

Got Mould? Learn How to Identify It and Get Rid of It

Did you know that 318,000 homes in New Zealand are affected by mould? That’s a huge number! A lot of people don’t realise that mould can make them sick and do an untold amount of damage to their homes.

You may be suffering from mold-related complications and not even know it! You may have developed allergies from toxic mould spores. Or maybe you're one of the unlucky folks who got stuck with black mould.

If you have mould in your home, you may find it difficult to sell your home. Even if a buyer is willing to buy your house, they may not be willing to take on the cost of repairs that are needed.

Mould can cause a lot of damage if left alone. First it can grow up in walls and make them damp, which can lead to a musty smell … or worse. Mould can grow in your insulation and result in unhealthy air circulation. Mould can also wreck havoc on your appliances, causing them to fail prematurely. Mould can spread from surface areas into the sub floors and walls of the house.

And that's not all! Black mould is one of the most toxic moulds you can have in your home! When you get a home with black mould, it is often accompanied by toxic bacteria and other infectious organisms. You can develop serious respiratory problems from exposure to such things. You may be surprised to find out that you can even get cancer by being exposed to such toxic mould.

If you have mould in your home, you could be at risk for some real health problems and serious financial loss. You would be well advised to get rid of it immediately! But before you do, you should learn how to identify mould. That way, you can make sure that the mould is NOT black mould or anything else toxic.

Start with a few simple tests that you can do in your home to help identify the kind of mould that you need to get rid of!

The first thing you should do is to look around at the areas where you think there is a problem. Does it look like there’s mould growing under your sink or in your walls? The second thing you should do is to smell the area. Mould usually smell musty and damp. If you smell it, take a look around to see if you can find the source of the odour.

The next step is to check for mould using a black light. Black lights are great at showing up mould growth and other things that may be invisible in normal light (especially for mould, because mould often doesn’t appear black in normal lighting). To check for mould, turn off all the lights and turn on your black light. Walk around your home with it and look for any sign of mould.

If you find any areas where the black light shows signs of problems, take a closer look. Those areas may have mould growing in them.

The final test that you can do is to use a mould detector. There are small, inexpensive devices that you can purchase and use to see if there are any areas with a high concentration of mould.

If it turns out that there's an area that has heavy mould growth, I recommend calling in professional help to clean it up properly.

There are many ways to get rid of mould. Some of them are highly effective, while others don't work that well.

So what kind of methods do you use to remove mould? Here are a few ideas:

You can hire contractors or professionals to remove mould. This would be the best option if you have mould that has gotten into your walls or under your floors. If it is just on a surface, you can usually get rid of it pretty easily.

You can buy some mold-removal products to use in your home. You'll find many different kinds of products for sale, some of which are better than others. Unfortunately, there are also some products that don't work at all. So you'll need to be careful about your choices.

You can try a homemade mold-removal method, such as using vinegar to remove mould from your walls. Vinegar is a great natural degreaser and it also has antifungal properties that help kill off the mould in your home.

You can get rid of mould by using bleach. Bleach is a bit controversial, but it does work. You just need to be careful because it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Always read the directions on the bottle and use it carefully.

You can use other products to remove mould from carpets, floors, walls and other surfaces in your home. But it's always recommended to hire professionals to get rid of the mould in your home.

Site Safe Member
Restoration Industry Association
CCANZ
safety work kits
IICRC
iDry Restoration Logo
FOLLOW US
FIND US
8/251 Lincoln Rd, Henderson, Auckland
0800437969
info@idryrestorations.co.nz
GET QUOTE
Get in touch with us for free quote
Get Quote
QUCK LINKS
Flood Restoration
Fire Restoration
Mould Removal
iDry Logo white500
FOLLOW US
FIND US
369 Great North Road, Henderson, Auckland 
0800437969
info@idryrestorations.co.nz
GET QUOTE
Get in touch with us for free quote
Get Quote
Copyright © 2019 - 2021 iDry Restorations. All Rights Reserved.
phoneenvelopelocation-arrowchevron-circle-rightcc-mastercardcc-paypalcredit-card-alt Call Now! linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram